Friday, May 07, 2010

Aako Travel: Gangai Konda Cholapuram, Pichavaram and Chidambaram

Travel Date: April 24th 2010 (Saturday):

          Started  at around 10 AM from my native village (near Papanasam) towards Chidambaram. On our way to Pichavaram Lake saw a sign board about "Gangai Konda Cholapuram". I never knew where Gangai Konda Cholapuram was and i have always wanted to visit that place. Rajendra Chola had built a temple there which looks like a miniature version of the Thanjavur Periya Kovil. So i immediately asked the driver to turn towards GKC.  I had somehow imagined it to be somewhere near Ariyalur and i was also planning to visit someday... so it was a sweet surprise for me...
Gangai Konda Cholapuram:

It was amusing to see a temple which looks similar to the thanjavur temple (though small in size).  I had taken my DSLR (Nikon D3000) along with me so i was happy to take pictures around the temple...
Here is a slide show of pictures from GKC temple:


Pichavaram Lake:

       After that proceeded to Pichavaram lake. It has a thick mangrove forest. "Kallai Mattum Kandaal" song from Kamal Hassan's Dasavatharam was shot here. You can either take a motor boat (Costly but better to see all the places) or a pedal boat. Motor boat will cost around Rs.2000 for 2 hours and pedal boat would cst Rs.1000 for 4 hours.

Chidambaram

Finally went to Chidambaram and worshipped Natarajar. Everyone had advised me to see the chidambara ragasiyam. I tried my best but i was not able to see anything because of the crowd. Later my friend Rajesh told me what exactly was chidambara ragasiyam...  That is..................................... i can't say.......... its CHIDAMBARA RAGASIYAM.... Go to Chidambaram and see it for yourself!! :D :P

No comments: